Epidemiology - Disease Control
5150 NW Milner Drive
Port St. Lucie, FL 34983
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a travel notice for Zika virus. More information about the CDC’s notices can be found here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices.
Zika virus is spread to people through mosquito bites. The most common symptoms of Zika virus disease are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes). The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.
Mosquito Safety - YouTube Video
For more information:
Mosquito-Borne and Other Insect-Borne Diseases
SpillTheWater.com - resources tailored to students, parents and teachers to help educate Florida's kids and involve them in the fight against mosquito-borne illnesses.
- A 30-second PSA briefly explaining how kids can protect themselves and save summer from mosquitoes
- Activity sheets for pre-k, elementary, middle and high school levels
- A Teacher Tool filled with brain teaser exercises that correspond to activity sheets
- Important infromation for parents about how to protect their kids from mosquito bites
- Resources for young adults to volunteer to help 'Spill the Water!' in their community